Well, I tried to make a new puppet and failed. The challenge was to sculpt something in clay, then make a plaster mold of it the clay, then cast it in brush on latex to make a skin for the puppet.
Everything started out great. I found some professional plastilina oil based clay and some softer water based clay and completed my sculpt. Here is the side of the clay sculpt. It stands about 5″ tall.
Now you can see the head and arm and leg sculpted in plastilina clay.
The plaster mold process went great and all the molds were completed. I used two part molds for the body, arms, and legs, and a one part mold for the head. Once the plaster was dry, and the clay removed, I brushed in vaseline for a mold release.
I pulled the skins out and tried to attach them to my wire armature. This is where the problems started. I didn’t have enough foam on the body to fill everything out.
The seams on the back spines and the front chest looked really bad.
And the details seemed all mushed together. The brown belt though that you can see is another experiment using rubber cement, thinner, and paint all mixed together to make a paint medium that will stick to the latex and still flex. It seems to really have worked well.
Above is a close up of the detail. Below is the head. I may leave this part.
I am removing the red skin from the puppet and starting over but the head seems ok. Below is a wrinkle in the side of the puppet.
I removed all the red skin and bulked up the body mass with more foam and will see what happens from there.