To close up the leather seam on the sword handle I stitched it with strong linen cord.
I used an ice pick to make the holes, and then a curved needle to sew with. This is the baseball stitch that I talked about in an earlier blog post. Notice that the needle goes down through a hole, then up through the middle of the seam. Then down another hole, then up through the middle seam. I went all the way down one side, then took the needle and went down the other side, just like lacing up your shoes.
Notice the v shape just like on a baseball.
It really pulled the seam together nicely.
When I was completely finished, I dabbed the seam thread with a white glue that dries clear just to add a bit more strength.
For more info on this stitch, look back through my blogs for a post on baseball stitch in leather. Here is the link:
Go ahead, make a mess, have some fun.