Here is a side project I am working on. I am trying to figure out a way to make decent replacement heads. Here is what I have so far. First I sculpted a head in neutral position out of plasticine clay. In the photo below it is the brown one. From that I made a two part silicone rubber mold. Into this mold I poured melted van aken clay and then let it cool. Once cool, I popped out the head and poured another one. I made 7 or 8. Those are the red ones below.
I took each red head copy and sculpted it into a new expression, sad, happy, etc. From each of those new expressions I now have to form a new two part mold so I can pour plaster into. When that is done I have a hard head in “sad” expression. Each head needs a new mold so I can make a plaster head. One thing I did to save on silicone rubber and moldmaking is to make a mold for the back of the head which never changes and always use that and just make a new face half mold.
The blue mold half is the back of the head, I reuse this one over and over and just make a new face half for the different expressions.
It is not a perfect system but I am working it out. I think I will take all the finished plaster heads when they are done and make a holder that will hold them all in the same position and I will drill a hole for a rod or brass tube that will slide over the puppet’s neck so they all align.