I needed a large double-bladed battleaxe, because well, who doesn’t?
So, I began by finding an image of a steel battleaxe from Skyrim game online. I drew out the design on mdf. I drew the celtic knotwork on thin MDF (1/8″) and cut it out with the scroll saw. I routed a depression in the thick MDF (3/4″) for the knotwork to fit into.
This gives crisper details than trying to rout out the design. I stacked four layers of the 1/8″ thick MDF together and cut them all at once.
I didn’t take many photos. I didn’t plan on blogging this project. I just went out to make something. So, the finished head is above. The steps were:
draw design on paper
stack four pieces of 1/8″ MDF on top of each other and tape the edges
cut out the knotwork all at once with a scrollsaw
rout 4 depressions in the thick MDF (3/4″) for knotwork to fit into
Glue the raised piece of knotwork in place.
Cut the shape of the blade out and sand down the edges to sharpen the blade.
This is where I realized I screwed up.
I had to put the handle in but now had a finished head. Thought about it a lot and ended up cutting the part of the design off, routing a deep groove for the handle to sit in and then had to rebuild the design. Lesson learned, start with the handle and build up around it.
That is the backside. The black paint was already there. The MDF was salvaged from another project.
That image above shows the thickness before I sharpened it.
In the above image you can see where I had to cut the black head and rout a groove for the handle. The handle was two pieces of flat pine wood that I shaped to be round with wood rasps and sanders.
I added some patch and tons of sanding.
I added tons of rusty paint colors to the blade, and a leather wrap for the handle. To age the leather, I dripped black paint on it, sanded it, and rubbed it down with motor oil. Then I rubbed dirt on it and sawdust all over it.
Ready for troll hunting.
Go ahead, make a mess, craft a rusty battleaxe, have some fun.